Thursday, June 3, 2010

Oops I forgot...Parker Quinn Thomas' birth story

Parker Quinn Thomas was born on (his due date) 4/30/2010 at 12:01am weighing in at 8lbs 4oz and 20 3/4 inches long.

On 4/29 I had a dr appt in the afternoon. I had my membranes scraped (ouch!!) and labor started at 8 pm that night. This being my 4th and probably last child I wanted to experience a natural birth. I labored at home until 10 pm with contractions coming every 6 minutes. At 10pm they were every 3 minutes. My friends drove me to the hospital while my husband stayed with our other kids. We walked around the waiting room for another hour bcs there were no rooms available. The contractions were 1 minute apart by the time they got me into a room. None of the birthing rooms were available so I was put into a recovery room. After changing into the fantabulous gowns they have I was finally able to get on the bed and get ready to push out the baby. After an hour of hard pushing, my water bag popping, coaching from my friends, and still no drugs Mr Parker decided he wanted to stay in. He wasn't making it down the birth canal fast enough and his heart rate dropped drastically. The Dr then decided on (another) emergency c-section. =/ I was knocked out this time (instead of having a spinal) and couldn't see my baby until the next day =( When Parker was born he wasn't breathing on his own. He had to have O2 and was hooked up to a CPAP. The hospital I was at wasn't equipped to handle him so he was transferred to the NICU at Naval Hospital Bethesda. He stayed in the NICU for 4 days. I had to stay at the other hospital for 2 days and was released early due to my baby being transferred. The hospital had given me a pump so I could stimulate my milk supply but I got nothing ... so he was formula fed on his 2nd day of life and didn't get boob juice until he was 3 days old =/ He is now a successfully breastfeeding 5 week old lil guy with no breathing problems =)

No comments: